Monday, December 26, 2011

Label, Is what life labels us


When I read “Violence in Intimate Relationships: a Feminist Perspective” by Bell Hooks, I agreed whole heartedly with my perspectives. Whenever someone is labeled base on a situation that person is branded with the stench of that situation for life, and it’s hard to shake off the residue of it.  Women are the most labeled creatures I know. If a violent act happens to a man no one goes around calling him the name of that situation, it’s usually separated from the gender side of things.  One thing I like that I really agree with that Ms. Hooks said, I will quote  “We females often think we are not entitled to ourselves, and many times give ourselves away for less than a song. The sad truth of the matter is that this is how we have managed to survive in our male-dominated culture.”  After reading this piece, I would ask myself a question. Why wouldn’t I risk everything to claim everything that is at stake for me to completely have myself to myself as a whole?  Men don’t always feel the need to explain themselves after they’ve given a response to most situations. There is no conscious need to have the approval of women in relationships. It’s like they make the women grovel at there feet to tenderly love them. It like a woman’s need to be affectionate is needed by her more than by men.  This isn’t true, because women are the caregivers and in life, whenever, you give to someone else it’s often time, because you have it to give in the first place.  I ask myself this other question. If I could override the label that follows me, if it precedes me in my reputation, how would I change it, if I could? I would say, I would invest into the real estate into my life, move into the surrounding comforts of this world, and invested fully my own self-esteem, and confidence, so that I could be my person ‘self-real-estate’ is metaphor for not letting a people brand me. This story really made me think more about labeling. Calling someone out of their name such as ‘violence against a person to label them to it as it relates to women, and violence, is cruel, and an injustice to those women who initially become victims.  This is not right? No. I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment