Thursday, July 5, 2012



I AM A WOMAN
I am a woman that has already walked my childhood miles
He treats me like a child when we are in
Our lover’s quarrels,
Making peace from a war he started
He stretched out his arms of love,
Like the passionate woman that I am
I ran into his promising arms like
A child in the innocents to forgive my man
That night I was unarmed, lost in the dreams of love
Forgetting I am never to be beguiled
By that man’s love again
I AM A WOMAN FIRST: A WOMAN LAST
Wearing my pink laced nighty
Hoping for sneak-preview
into the memory of what I once felt
With the man I used to love
I AM A WOMAN WHO HAS WALKED MY CHILDHOOD MILES
Moving through my mind’s eye
I took a forward step
I opened up my eyes resisting the urge to try
One tear drop spilled for the side of my face
 I must step up to the plate and realize
I AM A WOMAN FIRST: A WOMAN LAST
I started to slip back into reality
I am not that man’s child I fought with all my might
I am a woman first: A woman last
I AM A WOMAN WHO HAVE WALKED MY CHILDHOOD MILES
Now that I can see
I choose to let him be
While I move through my life with a little dignity
I am a woman first: A woman last
I am still a woman without a man
To hold me closely in his arms
Securely feeling safe
I AM A WOMAN WHO HAS WALKED MY CHILDHOOD MILES
My body goes limp at the touch of his
Memorable hands_ stroking my back
With an intended romance love
I AM A WOMAN WHO HAS WALKED MY CHILDHOOD MILES
I am reminded that I am not a little boy’s toy
Being a woman
It won’t happen this way for me again
Loosing the battle in reliving
this man fantasy in untrusting task
I must remove this blindfold mask
To be the property in one man’s world
because I choose to live in my womanly bliss
I AM A WOMAN FIRST: A WOMAN LAST
ROSETTA NESBITT
(c) September 19, 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment