Thursday, July 5, 2012




Little Girl
Little girl brushing your hair
Little girl, little girl, seems like momma’s not there
It’s hard, bending wire, stroking feathers
Tender love turned to stone
My pain, my father, he did own
One night I looked for a star
I found in place my tears, had turned to tar
Bitter touch, lemon rind, caused all the stress, I leave behind
Little girl, little girl, all alone, with your secret thoughts
a place publicly, where many have taught
Is now a place for only, your painful thoughts?
The treasure box of secrets, no one knew were there
The cat that scratches the skin so bare
Why? Father beat me there
The tears I cried, as I laid wake at night
Thinking God?  Am I old enough to carry all?
The painful weight I bear inside?
My parents told me I had to take it
As if I was their mistake, no care
The stone between my hidden horror No claim
No one would take the blame
I am only ten years old, dear God!
You see my parents didn’t take good care of me
Suffering is my family’s name
Who would know I played the game
Old in my head, yet a young lady, Daddy said I was
Clean the kitchen, wipe the floor, and wash all the walls
Even my doors, you must be quiet; I am trying to think
I command you not to even blink
Winds blowing, trees swaying, and
The water roaring loud against the bay
My Father, My Mother, I had to obey
The clouds would claim the day
Over the hills in the sky
I closed my eyes and began to cry
Peace: where is your protective Love
Love: where is your shield of Mercy?
Mercy: where is your caution?
Caution: where is your security?
Security: where is your Blanket?
Twinkle: twinkle in my eye
I am only thirty inches high
When my footprints seem a little heavy
And sinking in sand
I find that I am sinking sin
Grabbing me from sinking within
I turned and looked once again
And saw another’s hand
Pulling me out of the Marlowe clay
And placing my feet on a rock to stay
It was the Father of all Fathers
The Mother of one child
The God above
He will help the little People work things out
January 2nd, 2002
(c) ROSETTA NESBITT


No comments:

Post a Comment